My name’s Ben Colmery, and this blog is a place where I share my experiences and resources in media development, and occasionally experiment with new online technologies.
My mission is simple: I am working to empower people through new and traditional media, so that they can have a voice, have access to information, and connect with other people to build networks of communication and empowerment. To do this, I draw from my experience:
- Designing social media communications strategies to increase online visibility and engage stakeholders.
- Developing training programs for journalists and NGO strategists in Ukraine to utilize social media like blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube to spread content, raise awareness, and mobilize action.
- Researching capacity-building needs for traditional journalistic media in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, and evaluating training programs, to develop program recommendations.
- Building partnerships with local and international organizations to enhance program capacity and strengthen networks.
- Focusing on media in development, communications, and advocacy as part of my Master’s in International Affairs degree I received from Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs.
- Managing the design, marketing, and editorial process of a blog on international affairs.
- Promoting youth expression and advocating for the protection of their First Amendment rights.
- Founding a community journalism training program in Ukraine to promote free expression.
- In countries I am particularly familiar with: Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Ukraine, and Bangladesh.
Oh, and if you are wondering why my design for this site is so basic, it’s mainly because I have been focusing my attention on Web tools that are not behind paywalls. Those are the tools that are most likely going to be used by the people I work with in the developing world, so I feel it’s best to stick to what they tend to use. That said, I’m feeling an upgrade around the corner. I’m running into the limitations of WordPress.com, and an upgrade is quickly becoming necessary. Stay tuned.
You can find me at:
- bencolmery4 [at] gmail.com
- http://delicious.com/bencolmery4 – I bookmark A LOT of resources on new media, marketing, advocacy, development, etc.
- The Morningside Post – my old blog on international affairs at Columbia University.
- Web Design by Donor Organizations for Low Bandwidth – Some research and recommendations on how to build websites when conducting work in developing countries.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.